Find the Right Healthcare Job. Right Now.
Nurse Practitioner - Department of Corrections
Sterling, CO | Contract
We currently have 12 NP positions available in Canon City. This position is a long-term contract, without the possibility of a direct hire. The Nurse Practitioner provides medical assessment, diagnosis, and treatment for acute, chronic, and emergency care for offenders in the clinical setting, which could include a clinic, an infirmary, or a special needs facility. This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Perform physical examinations and obtain detailed histories on assigned patients;
- Assess and treat acute/chronic medical problems and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population;
- Conduct sick call, emergency treatment or chronic care clinic as assigned;
- Make rounds in an infirmary or skilled nursing care setting;
- Diagnose and treat medical conditions and disorders within scope of practice;
- Order laboratory tests and other diagnostic testing pertinent to the medical care of offenders;
- Perform minor medical procedures such as suturing lacerations, incision and drainage of abscesses, excision of cysts, application of splints and casts, and removal of toenails;
- Provide emergency medical coverage to offenders including performing basic life support and lifesaving procedures for emergencies such as cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, massive hemorrhage or similar emergencies or life support measures;
- May be required to assess dental and mental health emergencies and refer appropriately;
- Assist in pre and post-operative care;
- Perform offender health record reviews;
- Review laboratory, x-ray, and EKG results and intervene as medically indicated;
- Perform venipuncture and other related laboratory tests;
- Follow the CDOC clinical services standards and procedures, protocols, guidelines, or policies pertaining to medical practice and treatment as specified by Clinical Services administration;
- Prescribe medications from the CDOC formulary using applicable CDOC guidelines and policies;
- May provide initial emergency medical treatment for facility staff;
- Travel to other correctional facilities to assist during a staffing crisis;
- Communicate with outside providers and internal peers to ensure continuity of care;
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals, clinical services staff regarding offender health issues/policies, transfers, classifications and medical-legal concerns;
- Participate in various decision-making committees to resolve system issues;
- Assist in developing policies, protocols, standards or guidelines;
- Identify and update "medical holds" and housing and work restrictions electronically;
- Provide formal and informal medical training for co-workers, offender classes, and Training Academy presentations;
- Provide offender education during appointments;
- Participate in developing educational materials for offenders or health care professionals;
- May be required to participate in restraining an offender primarily for medical reasons.
- This position may be required to work shifts and provide on-call and call back duties such as weekends, evening and night shifts, and holidays;
- May perform clinical research related to specific operations;
Nurse Practitioner: Applicants must possess a valid Colorado Advanced Practice Registration as either a Nurse Practitioner or Clinical Nurse Specialist, a valid Registered Nurse License from the State of Colorado or any state participating in the Nurse Licensure Compact, and two years of professional experience as a registered nurse.
- Ability to provide direct patient care to offenders;
- Ability to maintain professionalism in a complex environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience providing medical care in a correctional environment;
- Experience managing chronic medical conditions as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant;
- Prescriptive authority issued by the Drug Enforcement Administration;
- Prescriptive authority issued by the State of Colorado (RXN);
About WSi Healthcare Personnel
Since 1988, WSi Healthcare Personnel, Inc. has been committed to providing complete job placement services to the Western Region. Recently voted one of the 10 most dependable staffing agencies in the region we push the boundaries of what a healthcare staffing company can offer both its candidates and its clients.
Healthcare professionals trust their careers with WSi Healthcare Personnel. Our professionals are the most loyal because of WSi’s outstanding placement services, pay rates and opportunities. Whether you need a full time position, part time or temporary opportunity, contact WSi Healthcare Personnel today for more information on how you can join our esteemed team of healthcare professionals.
Referral Bonus Program
Even if you are not currently needing assistance, if you know of other qualified healthcare workers seeking employment opportunities please pass on my contact information. Once they become active and have worked at least 40 hours on our payroll, we will send you a $100 referral bonus. There is no limit to the number of people you can refer!